With its warm climate and diverse terrain, the Southwest is truly the ideal playground for cycling enthusiasts. Unfortunately, this recreation is not free from danger, and cyclists are at risk of suffering an injury due to the carelessness of others. Each year, 580,000 cyclists are treated in American emergency rooms, 20,000 cyclists are admitted into hospitals, and more than 700 are killed. Cycling fatalities account for 2 percent of all traffic fatalities and 2 percent of all traffic injuries reported in the United States.
The startling statistics reveal:
- Head injuries are responsible for three out of four serious injuries and deaths in bicycle accidents.
- In 1999, there were 750 bicycling fatalities and 51,000 bicycling injuries resulting from traffic crashes in the United States.
- In 2001, nearly 314,600 children aged 14 and under were treated in hospital emergency rooms for bicycle-related injuries. 47% of these hospitalized children were diagnosed with a traumatic brain injury.
- Although a significant number of cycling accidents involve collisions with cars, two thirds of bicycle-related accidents do not involve motorists.
- Bicyclist injury rates per million trips are highest from age 5 to 15.
- Bicyclist death rates per million trips are highest above age 50.
Trauma to the head causes the most severe types of cycling injuries. Cyclists hospitalized with head injuries are 20 times more likely to die than those without such trauma. Those that survive a head injury often face diminished cognitive abilities, impaired vision, severe scarring, or other debilitating effects. Often times, these accidents occur even when the injured party was wearing a helmet and obeying all applicable traffic laws. Even when a head injury is avoided, other serious bodily injuries are often sustained in bicycle-related accidents.
Our Bicycle Accident Injury Lawyers Can Help
The law obligates both cyclists and motorists to ride and drive in a safe and reasonable manner. When a negligent or reckless person has caused you or a loved one to be injured in an accident, you may be entitled to compensation for resulting injuries, property damage, and time missed from work. Anyone injured while riding a bicycle may be entitled to damages. Similarly, family members of cyclists killed by the wrongful conduct of another may be entitled to a monetary award. When a child is injured, a parent or guardian may be able to bring suit on behalf of that child. An injury or fatality resulting from defective bicycle design or assembly may give rise to a products liability suit. Levenbaum Trachtenberg will thoroughly examine your case and explain all of your options. At Levenbaum Trachtenberg, we have the experience and resources to see your case through to the best possible resolution.